Want to add an ADU or convert your garage into a JADU? You need a professional team with top-notch knowledge of local building rules, amazing craftsmanship, and the full range of ADU regulations. We've got the know-how to help you navigate the complex world of ADU regulations and ensure your project is up to code. Trust us, going it alone could lead to expensive errors and major hold-ups. Let the experts handle it!
Here is our ADU construction process in the Bay Area, broken down step-by-step:
1. Initial Consultation: Schedule an initial consultation with us - we are a design-build firm, specializing in ADU construction in Northern California. During this meeting, discuss your objectives, budget, and timeline for the project. We will evaluate your property and provide an overview of the ADU design options and construction process.
An ADU must, in general, be no taller than 16 feet. Additionally, it's easiest to get ADU building permits for structures less than 750 square feet and below that 16-foot height restriction. The maximum height of an ADU that is being built inside a house or other existing structure is that height.
In addition, we take in consideration local regulations for ADU setbacks. It's important to note that setback requirements may also be influenced by other factors such as the size and height of the ADU, lot size, and specific design considerations. Additionally, local jurisdictions may have additional setback requirements or exceptions. Common side yard setbacks requirements range from 3 to 5 feet on each side, 5 to 10 feet. on the rear yard, and can vary significantly depending on the local zoning regulation in regards to front yard setbacks.
2. Site Assessment and Feasibility Study: We will conduct a comprehensive site assessment to evaluate the feasibility of building an ADU on your property. We consider factors such as lot size, setbacks, access, utilities, and any potential challenges. Based on this assessment, we will determine the optimal ADU general design and layout.
3. Design and Planning: Collaborate with our architectural and structural engineering team to develop a detailed design for your ADU. The architect will create floor plans, elevations, and 3D renderings that align with your vision and meet local building codes and regulations. They will also provide material and fixture selections for your review and approval.
4. Permitting and Approvals: Our design-build firm will handle the permitting process on your behalf. We will prepare and submit all necessary documents, including architectural plans, engineering reports, and permit applications, to the local building department. We also coordinate with inspectors and address any inquiries or modifications required for permit approval.
5. Construction Agreement: Once permits are obtained, we will provide you with a detailed construction agreement outlining the scope of work, project timeline, and payment schedule. Review the agreement carefully, make any necessary adjustments, and sign it to proceed with the construction phase.
6. Construction Phase: Mars Construction will mobilize our construction team to begin the ADU construction. We will handle all aspects of the construction process, including site preparation, foundation work, framing, plumbing, electrical, HVAC installation, insulation, drywall, and finishes. Regular communication and site visits will ensure that you are informed about the progress and can address any concerns.
7. Inspections and Quality Control: We carry out stringent quality control procedures all through the building process, including routine inspections to guarantee adherence to the design plans, compliance with building codes, and the highest caliber of craftsmanship. We'll make any necessary alterations or corrections right away.
8. Interior Fixtures and Finishes: Work with our interior design team to choose and decide on interior fixtures and finishes. This covers the surfaces, lighting, plumbing, appliances, worktops, flooring, and paint colors. The company will assist you in the selecting process and make suggestions based on your tastes and spending limit.
9. Landscaping and Exterior: If desired, the design-build firm can assist with landscaping and exterior enhancements. They will work with you to create an appealing landscape design that complements the ADU and the main property. This may include hardscaping, irrigation systems, planting, and exterior finishes.
10. Final Inspections and Completion: Once construction is complete, we will schedule final inspections with local authorities. These inspections will ensure that the ADU meets all safety and building code requirements. Upon receiving the necessary approvals, we will conduct a final walkthrough with you, addressing any remaining items on a punch list. Once all items are addressed, the project will be considered complete, and you can begin using your ADU.
Ready to start your ADU project? Schedule a consultation with us!